Sunday, October 19, 2008

Time For Some R&R

Sorry it's taken me a while to update this thing, but the past week has been nuts. Work has been grueling lately. My station recently moved my office from Jacksonville to New Bern. The Bern is about an hour from my house, so the commute has added two hours to my day and made an already tiring job a little more tiresome.

I think that's a large part of the reason I just can't get over this cold or sinus infection or whatever it is that has been absolutely dogging me for more than a week now. I haven't been sick like this in a long while, and I haven't really been getting better.

The good news? I have the upcoming week off, and I'm looking forward to getting better and enjoying some (in my opinion) well-deserved rest and relaxation. The weekend has been very restful and enjoyable. Friday evening was a good time -- I had dinner and did some hanging out with a group of my co-workers and even some of our friendly rivals from Channel 7. As good a time as it was, it came with a price -- it was a going away party for one of our reporters and my good friend, Marisela. She's leaving Channel 9 in a couple of weeks, and I will definitely be sad to see her go.

The rest of the weekend has consisted of a massive amount of couch time. Feeling as crappy as I have been, I haven't felt up to doing much more than that. Hopefully, with copious sleep and Benadryl, I'll be feeling up to snuff again in a few days.

I'm looking forward to this week for a couple of additional reasons, because two of my favorite annual events take place in the coming days -- the State Fair and Late Night with Roy. I am OBSESSED with the State Fair and can't wait to get up to Raleigh to enjoy the rides and the great food! And, as it would happen, I'm also OBSESSED with my Tar Heel basketball team -- and they'll get the season kicked off with Late Night on Friday. Definitely some good stuff on tap. I'm also have some time with my family and some good friends along the way, so I'm looking forward to it.

On Friday, at Burgie's going away dinner, I got the chance to catch up with one of my former co-workers for a while. I worked with Laila Muhammad at Channel 9 for a little more than a year before her contract expired and she headed to WTKR in Virginia. She's extremely talented and I always enjoy talking to her because she tells it like it is. She's great at giving feedback and speaking with her got me excited about figuring out where I want to go next, considering my contract here is up in 10 months.

I've definitely got a plan in mind and I've spent the weekend scoping out stations online. I know where I want to go (and it's probably not where you would guess, if you've heard me talk about where I want to go in the past) -- but we'll see if that eventually aligns with where I end up. It's hard to believe that with 10 months to go that I need to go ahead and get the ball rolling on my next job, but I do -- especially considering the state of the economy and the keen competition out there. As the process unfolds, I'm sure I'll update y'all with more.

Anyways, hope y'all have a good one -- I've got to restock on Kleenex!

No comments: