Monday, October 6, 2008

How It's Made

I know some people who think that TV rots your brain. Seeing as I make my living on TV, I've always taken exception to people who hate on the tube. Granted, their criticisms of television may not be completely unfounded -- there are people of people in this country (and others) who spend too much time on their butts in front of the TV and don't experience the world around them.

But I've always been fascinated with television -- particularly the "behind the scenes" stuff. One of the things I enjoy about my job is the fact that so much goes in to even something like a local newscast that viewers know nothing about. Whenever I'm putting a microphone on an interview subject and I'm concealing a wire behind their lapel or their collar, I always tell them that "50% of TV is just hiding all the wires." I tell it as a little corny joke to set them at ease, seeing as most people are nervous about being on TV. (Aside: That's something else I've NEVER understood. I don't get what freaks people out about being on camera. It's an inanimate object that just sits there and watches what's going on. There's nothing to it! I love being on camera -- but then again, I love public speaking, and that scares people more than death.)

Anyway, my little lame line about "hiding the wires" is more truthful than you'd ever know. If you got a look behind the scenes of any TV program -- from your local news to any high-budget network show -- you'd be shocked at how completely unpolished everything and everyone is. But it's amazing how put-together people and things can look when the little red light comes on and it's showtime.

So what does that have to do with anything? Well, like I said, I've always been fascinated with how TV shows are made. I'd even like to know how exactly the other TV news stations in my market get their product on the air. But what I really enjoy is seeing how TV is made in other countries, compared to how we do it here in the ol' US and A.

Enter BBC America. Folks, this is one fantastic network. I mean, don't get me wrong -- I love to pick on Britons (and their teeth and our kicking their butts and winning independence and ... well everything else about them) as much as the next guy, but I'm not gonna lie -- they've got something going with this whole TV thing. A number of the shows you'll watch on TV this fall are knock-offs of British series -- The Office, Worst Week, Life on Mars, American Idol, Hell's Kitchen, Survivor, Big Brother and the list goes on and on and on.

But there's one show in particular that I just can't get enough of. Top Gear. I mean, this show is absolutely amazing. In fact, I'd be willing to say that it's my favorite show on TV now. It's beautifully shot, the hosts (or "presenters") are FANTASTIC and the editing is top notch. Not to mention, it's all about cars -- which earns it bonus points off the top. The show is just presented and produced in a way that's just so much more beautiful and sophisticated than any American TV show I've ever seen. No wonder there is a 21 year waiting list to get tickets to be in the studio audience (I'm not kidding -- 21 years!). And its hosts are powerful, too. On a couple of different occasions, they've bashed a couple of cars they reviewed -- and those respective car companies either went out of business, ceased making the particular model in question or closed down some manufacturing plants. Talk about influence!

People often ask me about the trajectory I'd like my career to take. I think I've found the show I'd love to host the rest of my life! I'll just have to work on my British accent...

Word on the web is that NBC is planning on bringing an American version of Top Gear to our TV sets next year -- with American hosts. I can guarantee you that without the original British hosts and their wit, the US version will be nowhere near as good as the original.

Moral of the story -- don't hate on TV. Especially something as epic as Top Gear. But don't spend your life sitting on your butt, either.

And speaking of unpolished, here's my You Tube Clip of the Day, courtesy of our friends at CNN: "Nice Melons!"

Have a good one, y'all.

No comments: