Saturday, September 12, 2009

Giving It Another Go

OK, OK ... so it's been a while since I updated the blog. How long? Well, George W. Bush was still president. Michael Vick was in prison. Bernie Madoff wasn't. And the unsuspecting world had no idea it'd soon be inundated with 'round-the-clock coverage of the King of Pop's death or controversy over health care. My, how things change.

But I'm going to try and change how frequently I update my blog. A couple years ago, I did it regularly ... and it attracted a decent following. Eventually, it grew cumbersome for one reason or another. Now, I hope to do a better job (a pledge I realize I've made several times...).

There's no denying that social media is revolutionizing journalism. I'm a Twitterholic and enjoy connecting with friends, family and viewers through my tweets. Twitter's value on a professional level is abundantly clear to me. But outside of how it benefits me, I enjoy trying to give people a behind-the-scenes look at how other reporters and I go about getting the stories we do each day ... and demystifying some of the misconceptions about how our industry works.

I'm hoping to expand that here and share some thoughts and insights about the goings-on both off- and on-camera throughout the day. Often there is so much that I can't squeeze in to a story on the nightly news or crazy shenanigans that happen in pursuit of making said story happen. Hopefully this will be a place where I can tell the rest of the story.

And I want it to be interactive. I love the opportunity to interact with viewers and web users on Twitter ... so comment, criticize and suggest. Help me find more good stories to tell and share your own experiences.

With your help, I'm hoping giving it another go will prove successful!

Look for another update soon ... detailing what was an incredibly surreal day on the job this past Friday (9/11).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Phil,
Hope you stick it out this time around. I just blogged about Friday (some of it - it was such a long day that it will take more than one post). I look forward to what you have to say.