Sunday, January 28, 2007

Something to think about...

So I've been brainstorming about what to post about tonight, and to be honest, I haven't really been able to come up with anything. There's no local current event that really has me up-in-arms, and there's not been any one issue that those of you who have commented have really zeroed in on. (Although, let me take this opportunity to thank those of you who've taken the time to comment on the blog -- especially those of you who've displayed kind words toward me and my work. Your encouragement means a lot. I also want to thank those of you who've recommended some great restaurants in your neck of the woods. I'll have to see what I can do with those recommendations! Thanks for sharing your voice!)

Anywho ... I've been thinking a lot this weekend -- a scary prospect, to be sure. But my mind keeps going back to a conversation I had with a friend a couple of weeks ago, so I figured I'd share some of that with you. This friend has had a rough go of it lately, and life has simply not been too kind to him. During our chat, he talked about how he felt "broken" -- and that in a way, we're all "broken" people.

I don't really think he realized how correct and profound his statement was. We are all a very broken people. And to be blunt, I don't care how well you think you've got it together, we've all got our issues. I think that manifests itself in the stories that me and my colleagues cover everyday. Unfortunately, more often than not, we're covering crimes. And messed up people do messed up things.

There's a void in all of us, and all of us choose to plug it and fill it in our own ways. Unfortunately, in Carteret County (which I cover everyday), a lot of people have turned to drugs. Sheriff Asa Buck is very open about the county's drug problem, and has said that most of the crimes committed in Carteret County are drug related -- whether it's someone under the influence of drugs committing a crime, or someone stealing from someone else so they can buy more drugs. But more often than not, our brokenness rears its ugly head each day. For me, a lot of times it's manifested in my temper -- especially in traffic (I'll admit it, I'm a road-rager).

With all that in mind, I'd like to challenge each of you to a couple of things. Take a few minutes and think about some areas for improvement in your own life -- I've certainly got mine. Then actually attempt to do something about it! Work toward fixing those flaws -- you'll notice a difference, and so will the folks around you. Additionally, just do something randomly nice for someone else today. For me, that might entail letting that car over in traffic, even if I'm in a hurry. Who knows what that means for you, but I dare you to go out of your way for someone else.

Anyway, sorry to have gotten all "Dr. Phil" on y'all! Without a concrete post idea in mind, I just decided to share my thoughts with y'all. Hopefully there's something you can take away from my ramblings.

And as always, I'd love to hear your voice -- let me know what you think of the blog, Eyewitness News 9, or just about anything! And keep those restaurant recommendations coming. All you've got to do is click the "Comments" button below. Have a great one, y'all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's quite simple...If everyone could have God in their life(in whatever form works for them) there would not be any void and brokeness. He doesn't cost as much as drugs, either. Why is that so hard for our society these days?

Anonymous said...

This article is nice I understand the brainstorming is more useful to people If you want to interesting get information visit the same type of site brainstorming